What you need:
- 6 Bell Peppers (cubanelle peppers can be used as well, wash, core the center and pat dry)
- 2-3 Pounds of D&D Market’s Meatball Mix (if there’s left over meat, you can make meatballs)
- 3 Slices of Day Old Crusty Italian Bread (crust removed)
- 1/2 Cup of Milk
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons of Italian Parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 Cup of Romano Cheese
- 1-2 Teaspoons of Salt
- 1 Teaspoon of Coarse Black Pepper
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Nonna added this to from time to time and it was my favorite (optional):
- 1/2 Cup of Peas
- 1 Cup Cooked Rice (brown or arborio may be used)
- 1 Cup of shredded mozzarella or bocconcini – small little mozzarella balls stuffed in each pepper
What to do:
- Soak your bread in the milk.
- Place meat in a bowl, add all of the ingredients and then squeeze the bread and crumble into the meat mixture.
- Mix the meat mixture well without over mixing.
- Fill each pepper with the meat mixture. If extra meat remains you can stuff extra peppers or make meatballs. Both the stuffed peppers and meatballs freeze well for another meal.
- If you are adding the rice, peas and shredded mozzarella add this to the meat mixture after it’s all mixed. If you are adding the mozzarella balls tuck them into the peppers once they are stuffed.
- Bake the peppers in a 9 x 13 baking pan in a preheated 350 degree oven covered for 1 hour.
- If the peppers are extra large bake for an additional 1/2 hour. Enjoy this meal for lunch, brunch or dinner anytime with Crusty Italian Rolls, a nice salad and your favorite wine! (The stuffed peppers can be frozen after they’re cooked for future use and can be made 1 day ahead). Enjoy!