Cotechino is an Italian sausage that is primarily used as a New Year’s Eve tradition.
What you need:
- 1 Cotechino
- 1 Pound of Lentils (washed and rinsed well)
- 1 Large Tomato (diced)
- 3 Stalks of Celery (chopped)
- 4-5 Carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1 Large Onion (chopped)
- 1 Large Clove of Garlic
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Vegetable Bouillon
- 3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 8 Cups of Water
What to do:
- In a stock pot sauté in olive oil tomato, onions, celery, carrots and garlic until they begin to soften slightly.
- Add the lentils, bouillon, bay leaves and water.
- Bring to a boil. Let simmer until the lentils are soft (approximately 2 hours).
- Salt to taste
- In a 6 quart pot place cotechino, 1 bay leaf, 1 clove of garlic, a few drops of olive oil and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 1 hour or longer.
- Remove the cotechino from the boiling liquid, cut the butcher twine and slice thinly to arrange on a platter.
- The lentil soup is served with a slice or two of cotechino in a bowl on New Year’s Eve or New Year’s as a little side. This Italian tradition is for one to have prosperity in the New Year. Enjoy and to all a Prosperous New Year!