Serves 6 – 8
What you need:
- 1 Spoon Roast, Shoulder Pot Roast, Rump Roast or Chuck Roast (approx 5 pounds)
- 1 Bottle of Red Wine
- 1 Bag of Carrots (peeled, washed and cut into 2 inch pieces)
- 1 Head of Garlic (peeled & gloves remain whole)
- 5-6 Stalks of Celery (washed & cut into 2 inch pieces)
- 8- 10 Small Red Potatoes (washed and skin left on)
- 1 Large Onion (quartered or 8-10 small onions peeled and left whole)
- 2-4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 6 Tablespoons of Flour (whole wheat or white)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon of Onion Powder.
What to do:
- Season Flour with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and stir well.
- Coat each side of the roast in the flour.
- In a heavy dutch oven heat the oil and brown all sides of the roast.
- Add the onion, garlic and wine. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake the roast covered for 2 hours. The last hour add all of the vegetables and return back into the oven.
- Before slicing let the roast rest. Then on a warm platter serve the sliced roast with all of the vegetables around and the sauce can be made into a gravy or left alone to serve on the side. Enjoy!