What you need:
- 1 Loaf of Italian or Ciabatta Bread (cut into 1 inch thick slices)
- 1/3 Cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus 1/4 Cup of Olive Oil
- 2 Taplespoons of Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Cloves of Garlic (minced) plus 1 whole clove
- 6-8 Locally Grown or Vine Ripe Tomatoes (cut into wedges)
- 3/4 Cup of Red Onion (sliced into thin wedges)
- 10 Leaves of Basil (shredded)
- 1/2 Cup of Pitted and Halved Green Olives
- 2 Tablespoons of Capers (in brine, rinsed well)
- 1/2 English Cucumber (halved and sliced)
- 1 Whole Fresh Mozzarella (cut into small cubes)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
What to do:
- Preheat Grill to 350 – 400 degrees.
- Drizzle each of the bread slices with the 1/4 cup of Olive Oil.
- Grill each side of the bread, do not burn them.
- Rub each slice of grilled bread with the garlic clove.
- Let cool and cut into cubes.
- In a small bowl mix olive oil, garlic, vinegar, garlic, basil, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl combine tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, mozzarella and bread.
- Toss with dressing and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Enjoy as a great summer time meal, salad or picnic side!