What you need:
- 6 Veal or Pork Shanks (12-16 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons salt and pepper (equal blend) tossed with 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup small diced carrots
- 1 cup small diced celery
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cups veal stock (chicken or vegetable stock can be substituted)
- 2 cups of red wine
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 pound of Orzo pasta for serving
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Dredge shanks in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- In batch brown the shanks using the olive oil. Remove and set aside.
- Saute vegetables and tomato paste add more oil if needed.
- Add wine and let reduce.
- In a large dutch oven or roasting pan add the shanks, vegetables with wine and stock.
- Cover and bake slowly for approximately 2-3 hours. Check occasionally to see if more liquid is needed, if so add water.
- Cook Orzo al dente like pasta, drain and serve the Osso Bucco on top of a bed of Orzo. Enjoy!