What you need:
- Purchase 1-2 pounds of Bacala – dried salted cod fish (soak in water, changing frequently for 3-4 days) or purchase 3-4 pounds of already soaked Bacala from D&D Market (rinse the fish well and pat dry with paper towels)
- 1 large jar of Giardiniera (pickled vegetables or 2 small jars – rinsed well and drained)
- 1 clove of garlic (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon of course black pepper
- 2-3 Tablespoon of Italian Parsley (chopped)
- 1/4-1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
What to do:
- Place the bacala on a baking sheet.
- On the upper rack of your oven broil both sides of the fish until there is a nice golden color all around it and the fish is cooked through.
- Remove from rack and break the fish into pieces (bite size) into a bowl.
- Add garlic, parsley, giardiniera, black pepper and olive oil ( the amount of olive oil depends on the amount that the fish will take and not to be oily).
- Toss well and place in a serving dish, garnish with parsley.
- This can be served warm, room temperature or cold as a small side (what the recipe calls for) or as an entrée (serving less). An Italian Christmas Eve tradition at our home. Enjoy!