Serves a Crowd
What you need:
- 5 Pounds of Ground Chicken (5 pounds of Hamburger or D&D`s Meatball Mix can be substituted)
- 1 Large Onion (chopped)
- 4 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 1-2 Hot Peppers (chopped or Jalapeno)
- 1 Can of D`Aprile Tomatoes (28oz) (crushed by hand)
- 2-3 Cans of Canellini or Kidney Beans (rinsed and drained well)
- 2 Carrots (peeled and chopped finely)
- 2 Celery Stalks (chopped finely)
- 6 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1-2 Teaspoons of Ground Chili
- 1 Bunch of Swiss Chard or Escarole (washed and cut up in small pieces, the leaves only)
- Salt and Pepper to taste and more heat can be added
What to do:
- In a large heavy pot brown your ground chicken in batches using about 2 tablespoons of olive oil per batch. When the chicken is all browned place in a bowl.
- With the remaining olive oil sauté onions, garlic, carrots, celery and hot peppers until soft.
- Add the chicken, tomatoes, chili to the pot. Let cook for about 1 hour on medium heat stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and cut Swiss chard or escarole to the pot and let simmer for about 30 minutes more.
- Season with Salt, pepper and more chili if desired. A great fall supper. Enjoy with a nice salad and your favorite wine!