What you need:
- 1 Small Eggplant (about 1 pound – cut in 1/4 inch rounds – D&D Market`s Eggplant Cutlets can be substituted)
- 4 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Pound of D&D Market`s Chicken Cutlets (already cooked can be substituted),
- 1 Quart of D&D Market`s Marinara Sauce (or your own)
- 1/2 Pound of Fresh Mozzarella (cut into thin slices)
- 1/3 Cup Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/4 Cup Lightly Packed Basil Leaves.
What to do:
- Heat the broiler. Arrange the eggplant in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Coat both sides of the eggplant with 2 1/2 tablespoons of oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Broil, turning once, until browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- Turn off the broiler and preheat over to 425 degrees.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over moderate high heat.
- Season the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and add to the pan.
- Partially cook the chicken for 2 minutes per side and remove from the pan.
- Oil an 8 inch square baking dish.
- Put one third of the eggplant in a single layer in the dish.
- Top with half of the chicken, tomato sauce, half of the mozzarella, one third of the parmigiano cheese and half of the basil. Repeat.
- Top with the remaining eggplant and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Drizzle with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Enjoy with a romaine salad and your favorite bottle of wine!