What you need:
- 1 1/3 Pounds D&D Market Veal Cutlets (chicken, beef or pork cutlets can be substituted)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 Pound thinly sliced Prosciutto di Parma
- Springs of Fresh Sage
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Tablespoons of Butter
- 1 Cup White Wine
- 1/2 Lemon (juiced).
What to do:
- Season Veal with salt and pepper.
- Layer 1/2 the veal medallions with 1 slice of Prosciutto, folded to fit the veal.
- Place 1 whole sage leaf on top of the Prosciutto, then place another piece of veal on top of the sage leaf.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 1 tablespoon of butter and saute 1/2 of the veal 2-3 minutes on the first side then 1-2 minutes on the second side. Transfer to warm plate and repeat with remaining veal.
- Transfer the last of the cooked veal to a warm platter and return pan to heat. Reduce the heat to medium low.
- Add wine to veal pan and crape up pan drippings with wine and add lemon juice.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan.
- Pour pan juices over the veal and serve. (Veal can be rolled or served flat as Billy and the D’Aprile’s do.)
We hope you enjoy Billy’s Veal Saltimbocca as much as our family enjoys it!