Serving the Greater Hartford area since 1932.
Vito D’Aprile immigrated from Monopoli Province of Bari, Italy when he was a young boy.
With his love of food, his love of the Italian culture and his business mind he opened D&D Market on Windsor Street in Hartford, CT in 1932.
This 1,000 square foot store brought Italy to Hartford to so many who craved what they missed in their homeland.
Achille “Kelly” D’Aprile joined his father, Vito, full time in 1959; now the second generation to be a part of D&D Market.
In 1961, with Hartford’s revitalization and Vito’s foresight, D&D Market moved to 276 Franklin Avenue. Vito, along with Kelly, felt that they were better able to provide more Italian products, more meat and deli to their customers at this larger location.
When Daniel “Danny” D’Aprile graduated from college in the early 80’s he joined forces with his grandfather, Vito, and his father, Kelly, at D&D Market. At this point Danny learned from the two elder statesmen and absorbed their knowledge.
The mid-90’s provided Kelly with an opportunity to expand the property and renovate D&D Market. Danny took over running the daily operations.
Danny’s love for Hartford is the same as the generations before him, but his vision was to expand D&D Market to the suburbs. In 2014, an opportunity presented itself and Danny expanded into Wethersfield on 675 Wolcott Hill Road.
We are proud that D&D Market has a 4th generation in the business with Danny’s children, Lisa and Daniel, working behind the scenes and Lisa’s husband Jordan Tipson joining us. From time to time you may even see Harrison and Hudson Tipson (A potential 5th generation) stocking shelves!
D&D Market is a family owned Italian specialty grocery store since 1932 where we cater to please our customers with the best quality and service.